Sunday, January 17, 2010

How to Make a How-to Video on Making Coffee Pods

The other day I was talking about making my own coffee pods for my Senseo, and Jon said, "You should blog about that." I'm not sure if he thought it would be a good idea, or if it was his polite way of saying, "Leave me alone. If you write about it, it would be less annoying and easier to ignore."

Either way, here I am. The only problem is, I learned how to do it from a blog. So I didn't want to just rewrite someone else's words. How about a video showing just how easy it really is. Not just a video, a duel camera video. That would be a challenge, so that's what I decided to do. Here's how I set the whole thing up.

The main camera (a Canon ZR850) would shoot down at my kitchen counter. Two legs of the tripod set in the sink with the third on a TV tray.


This camera fed a small black and white monitor in my cabinet, so I could see what I was doing.


Next to the monitor, I put my Flip video camera. And so I could see what it was shooting, I put a mirror behind it. This is also the camera that captured my audio.


For lighting I just the kitchen lights (CFL bulbs,) an incandescent shop light reflected off the cabinet door to soften the shadows on my face, and I mounted a small fluorescent tube light under the cabinet to help with shadows in the work area.


I set my iPhone in a Mini DV tape case next to the Flip to keep time.

Now the setup sounds all well and good, here's where I take a left on What! street.

To show how easy it is to make the coffee pods, I would do it first thing in the morning. No showering, no brushing the hair, no changing out of the PJ's. Just out of bed and shoot a video.

Where's how it turned out.



Editing was super easy. I used Adobe Premiere Pro, synced the two videos and cut out a lot of my morning head.

Just as simple as that.

Remember, if you're gonna consume internet, you gotta feed internet. Go create.

1 comment:

  1. Two Thumbs Up... Good Family Fun. When is the unrated Director's Cut with Commentary coming out?

    ReplyDelete